Top Tips to Optimise your Ecommerce Site
01: Optimise your images
#1 on shoppers wish-list from brands is product images. They not only turn browsers into buyers, but they go a long way to helping with your SEO. Shoppers need to visually explore and evaluate the product before purchasing. The Baymard Institute claims that low resolution images actually drag down a customer’s perception of a product – not great for conversions!
- Begin with good quality photos
- Use white backgrounds for photos where you can – it will make your products POP and show consistency across your site and sales channels
- Choose the right format and size them appropriately. Depending on what platform you’re on, there are some great image compressor plugins available.
- Name your products descriptively and ensure your alt attributes are optimised; relevant keywords here will help with your SEO.
Looking for more? Deep dive into image optimization here.
02: Improve your site speed
Poorly performing sites can drive users away and have drastic repercussions for SEO. 47% of customers expect a webpage to load in 2 seconds or less, and a 1 second delay in page load means 11% loss in page views. If you want to optimise your ecommerce site, read on!
- Optimise your images for web (see above)
- Use a CDN (content delivery network), which will deliver content from your website more quickly and efficiently based on their geographic location. A CDN stores multiple copies of your site at geographically diverse data centers, giving users a faster and more reliable access to your site.
- Continuously check your site’s speed at Test My Site or PageSpeed Insights. These sites provide great, actionable opportunities on exactly what your site needs to run more efficiently.
Looking for more? Deep dive with Google for some more great tips.
03: Focus on the shopping experience
The digitization of commerce is changing consumer expectations and inspiring new and unprecedented shopping patterns and experiences. Providing an amazing customer experience will create brand memories, encourage brand loyalty and set your store and products ahead of your competitors.
- Keep it simple. Always remember the 3 steps to purchase: product search, add to cart, checkout. This journey should be clear, uninterrupted and fast. Only ask for the details you need to process the order and be upfront with shipping costs.
- Enrich your content. Bring your products to life with engaging and descriptive product descriptions, great photography and immersive video. eCommerce product pages with video convert 80% better than those without.
- Develop personalisation strategies that will keep your customers converting and returning. 80% of consumers are more likely to make a purchase when brands offer personalised experiences! Think about where the personalisation should occur in the shopping experience, what information will be used to curate a personal experience and how can you use technology and human insights to create this personalisation?
Looking for more? Deep dive into the eCommerce Customer Experience.
Check out how Comestri’s PIM can help you streamline your commerce operations.
Give your products every chance to shine with limitless attributes, customisable per channel.