What You Should Be Looking For in the Best PIM for Ecommerce
When selecting a PIM for ecommerce, it’s important to select the right pim for you. PIM stands for Product Information Management, and it’s vital for winning at ecommerce. A PIM will help you consolidate, orchestrate and publish your product information wherever customers touch your brand; your own website, marketplaces, sales and marketing channels and much more.
Let’s take a look at some of the features of a PIM, and what you need to consider when selecting one for your ecommerce business.
What is a PIM for Ecommerce?
A PIM (or Product Information Management) is a software environment where product information is stored in a logical and efficient structure. It is the single source of truth for all product data; a PIM provides a central hub where ecommerce product data is enriched, standardised and categorised. For each product, the best PIM for ecommerce should hold product data, product attributes, taxonomy & relationships, digital assets, marketing data, pricing information and inventory.
The best PIM for ecommerce holds product data in a logical, structured format, making updates and automation easy. When selecting a PIM for ecommerce, you need to ensure that the product data is stored in the most intuitive way possible, making it easy to add new products, export products and sell more.
Features of a PIM for Ecommerce
Your PIM will be the backbone of your entire commerce operation – make sure you pick the right one for you! There are many options available with different features and at different price points.
Here are some features to look out for when selecting your PIM for ecommerce:
- Ability to import data from a variety of sources in a variety of formats. Your PIM should be able to alter the data to make it consistent, no matter what the format.
- Manage data quality by defining a product completeness formula.
- Advanced search and product filtering capabilities.
- Support for multiple languages and currencies.
Group product data in a logical format.
- Assign specific data or data sets to grouped data. Make updates automatically to streamline product enrichment.
- Attach rich descriptive data to product images – check out how product content can help you convert here.
- Add tags to images and videos.
- Create rich SEO data to improve SEO ranking and searchability.
- Manage inventory, set thresholds and buffers, allocate stock. Advanced inventory management in conjunction with a DOM (Distributed Order Management) System
- Order and shipment management.
A PIM Opens Up Endless Sales Opportunities
Sell products internationally and via multiple channels (ecommerce sites, marketplaces, sales channels, etc.)
Import data from multiple suppliers, worldwide.
Sell globally with market-specific product data, such as languages and currencies.
Facilitate next-level personalisation services that support our localisation strategy across different regions.
Top Benfits of PIM
Products are easier to find with limitless attributes, rich content and emotive imagery and videos. Give your products the best chance to be found with tailored product content for each channels.
Find New Customers
Sell products on marketplaces and sales channels (e.g. eBay, Catch, Amazon) by connecting your PIM to these channels. Synchronise consistent product information across your entire commerce network. Put the right product in front of the right customer at the right time.
Only Promote Products with Adequate Stock Levels
Don’t waste advertising dollars on products with low stock. Synchronise your inventory across your entire commerce network and use the magic of automation to pause ads without adequate stock.
Better Data Management
As the single source of truth for your product data, the best PIM for ecommerce will ensure data quality across your entire commerce network. Streamline and automate the movement of data across your network, and consolidate product data from multiple systems.